Monday 25 January 2016

I Bought A SNES: How To Handle Stress Expensively

There is a perfectly good reason why I haven't been posting much this month. That reason is exams. Dear god. Exams.

They're like a really boring Saw trap that you volunteer to do.
I handle exams very poorly at the best of times (usually with the crying and the binge eating), but this year's lot are different to my usual medical school fare what with me studying an inter-collated degree (a fancy name for cheating a second diploma out of one more year of work). Poof goes the multiple choice questions and here comes the essay train, derailing itself into your skull at 120 words a minute. As such, I upped my exam stressing game with daily frivolous purchases. On the lead up to the exam week, these included a couple of Professor Layton games. Then the rest of them.
Professor Layton is a gateway drug.
Two days before Exam 0, I was starting to feel the burn. Cold sweats, coughing up blood... Wait, no, that's TB. Cold sweats, wishing I had TB... So, seeing as I'd recently got New Super Mario Bros. earlier the week before and one of my Wii controllers was gubbed to fuckery, I hopped back on eBay to buy some cheap Chinese knock-offs. No news as to whether they actually work yet.

I have not learned from that time I bought Gamecube controllers that only let you turn left.
I completed Ocarina of Time with those bastards.
So, naturally, on exam day, after 4 hours of god-awful essay questions and writing that made worse use of the Oxford comma and unnecessary conjunctions than this very sentence, I needed more things. So I bought a SNES.

Quite a lot of SNES.
The lady I bought it off on eBay was lovely, and every game even came packed individually in bubblewrap like dozens of poppy Christmas presents! Also, if you read my recent post on MyRetroGameBox, you know how much of a sucker I am when it comes to the adorable quirks of second hand games. The box for (one of my two copies of) Mario Kart has evidently been subjected to the beautifully simplistic humour of a 7 year old.
Princess Peach has been subbed out for Frida Kahlo.
All in all it seems like studying is a very expensive pastime; I would not recommend it. Although the residual effects are pretty sweet. Actual articles will occur as of next week, my little snookums. <3

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, the reminds me, I need to complete MY Professor Layton games ... goodbye dissertation

    ReplyDelete